Do you want to know how to dress professionally as a plus-size woman at work? These simple tips sure will be helpful.
While showing off your work skills, you should also recognize the importance of maintaining a polished, professional appearance.
I always like to stress the importance of cultivating habits that build self-confidence. And clothing plays a vital role in projecting that confidence into your work environment.
Your image is crucial if you intend to be considered for a new job or a higher position, regardless of your size.
Here are some considerations I will mention below specifically for plus-size women.
Tips for plus size women to dress professionally at work
Whether you work in a business environment or a more relaxed atmosphere like the creative one, an office will always be a place to maintain professionalism and take care of forms.
Of course, there are some guidelines to follow, depending on the industry or workplace. However, you will never go wrong if you err on the side of refinement and sophistication.
As a plus-size woman, there are certain keys to which you should pay attention. Here are simple but effective tips for dressing professionally.
- Wear blouses and button-down shirts of fluid fabrics such as Georgette and Silk. These fabrics will not stick excessively on bodies.
- Stick to neutral colors and avoid bold patterns for a more professional look. However, bright colors aren’t always wrong; this will depend on your workplace’s dress code.
- Take care of your neckline. It is better to opt for blouses with sufficiently conservative necks. That way, you won’t risk making others’ eyes turn to your girls.
- Wear quality fabrics with wide-leg pants that fit your curves without tightening them. Plus-size women can find excellent pants and trousers in stores such as Lane Bryant, Eloquii, Torrid, Avenue, Woman Within, etc.
- Steer away from leggings, as they are too tight. Leggings can be tricky as they can take you away from that professional look that you should radiate.
- Wear quality underwear to support your figure, but not noticeable through your clothes.
Other important tips to consider
- The length should be up to your knees or just a little above if you wear a skirt or dress. Skirts and dresses that are too short or tight are a big No-No for the workplace.
- Be careful of sheer garments. Wearing see-through clothes is a surefire way to look unprofessional.
- The most suitable footwear for an office environment is shoe closed-toe. An essential thing regarding shoes is comfort and professional appearance. Avoid sandals, nightclub boots, or other models more appropriate for parties and night outings.
- If you want to invest some money in suits, make sure you do it well by having a custom tailor to your body. Plus-size women’s bodies can be a little tricky, so spending a little more money to ensure the suit is tailored to you is better.
- Blazers with either one or two buttons are great for a more professional look.
- You can wear your blazers over almost anything, and they will make you look more put together than, for example, wearing only a blouse and trousers. Again, make sure you find the blazer that best suits your silhouette.
- Finding the right fit for you can take time, so be patient and persistent.
- Finally, the most crucial advice is to look for clothes in which you feel comfortable and confident. Don’t settle for less than you deserve. Always look for the best clothes for your body and your personality.
It is not meant to appear as if hundreds of women wear the same corporate uniform.
You should seek a balance between expressing your personality and having a professional look.
10 Outstanding work outfits for plus-size women
1. Navy Suit Outfit
2. Blazer & Scarf Outfit
3. Shawl Collar Cardigan Outfit
4. Wide-Leg Trouser Outfit
5. Black Dress Outfit
6. Animal Print Skirt Outfit
7. Plaid Blazer Outfit
8. Pencil Skirt Outfit
9. Red Suit Outfit
10. Plaid Peplum Suit Outfit
I hope these guidelines might help you choose the appropriate workwear to take your career to the next level.